Marcus Aurelius again...

"When another's fault offends you, turn to yourself and consider what similar shortcomings are found in you. do you, too, find your good in riches, pleasure, reputation, or such like? Think of this, and your anger will soon be forgotten in the reflection that he is only acting under pressure..."

"Let no one have the right to say truthfully of you that you are without integrity or goodness; should any think such thoughts, see that they are without foundation. This all depends upon yourself, for who else can hinder you from attaining goodness and integrity? "

"At every action, no matter by whom performed, make it a practice to ask yourself, 'What is his object in doing this?' But begin with yourself; put this question to yourself first of all."

Comments

Anonymous said…
The essence of what he's saying is that we are quick to judge others down but less willing to look at our own faults first.

I think that's true of many people. I've been that way in the past, always attributing my faults to somebody else when really I ought to take personal responsibility. Not a nice way to be. I blame my parents...
Anonymous said…
What can one say about Marcus Aurelius? He comes up again and again for most people. He is always infinitely more satisfying the second or third time around. The comments are so timeless and rooted in personal responsibility, they inevitably send me back to my copy of the book again.

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine the Great and her Many Lovers

Emperor Elagabalus; the Teenage Pervert

The Acropolis of Athens