The secret meanings of Elizabethan salads

The Elizabethans liked to give secret meanings to their salads. Therefore, each vegetable / ingredient, was used to convey a specific message.
Here is a list of the most common meanings associated with some of the most widely used ingredients:

Asparagus: Renewing of love
Borage: You make me glad
Bugloss: I am pleased with you
Scallion: I love you not
Cabbage lettuce: Your love feedeth me
Bitter lettuce: I love you not
Olives: Your love annoyeth me
Rosemary flowers: I accept your love
Winter savory: I offer you my love
Radish: Pardon me
Strawberries: I am altogether yous
Raspberries: Come again

Comments

Perdita said…
*in my best quickie mart accent*

Thank you. Raspberry

:)
Anna said…
Hihihi! Good one! :-)))
Anonymous said…
I'll have a Waldorf salad!

Popular posts from this blog

Catherine the Great and her Many Lovers

Emperor Elagabalus; the Teenage Pervert

The Acropolis of Athens